Anniversary celebration
  • Nederlands
  • English

Broerstraat: heart of the university

1 Sep 1614
Broerstraat: heart of the university
The first Academy building

The brand new academy was housed in the old and unused Menolda and Sywen convent, on the North side of the Broerstraat, where, 400 years later, the Academy building is still situated (even though in a different building). The lecture rooms, senate chamber, and the houses of the professors were situated in the convent. The University Library and Anatomy Theatre were housed in the Minderbroeder Cloister across the street from the Academy building. The courtyard of the cloister was later being used as an academic cemetery.