On 22 September 1948, two black granite stone memorials were placed in the staircase of the Academy building. They were made by Willem Johannes Valk and contained the names of Second World War victims. Professors, functionaries, alumni and students who died as a result of the war were selected by a committee. Of course they had to make choices, but they also had to do some digging and were not sure this had resulted in finding all appropriate names. In 1953 and 1965 more names were added to the plaques. Still, after research into the World War period by historian Klaas van Berkel, it seemed in 2005 that the list was not complete. A new committee was formed and in 2007 five until then forgotten victims received their own stone memorial.